The Catholic Institute for the Deaf (CID) was established as a charitable institution in 1845.
In 2007, the name was changed to the Catholic Institute for Deaf people (CIDP).
We are a voluntary, not for profit organisation providing enabling services to the Deaf Community.
CIDP focuses on the areas of education, care and pastoral work.
The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Dublin is the President of the company and appoints the Board members.
We are responsible with:
- St. Joseph’s Residence for Deaf Boys, Cabra
- St. Mary’s Residence for Deaf Girls, Cabra
- St. Joseph’s House for Adult Deaf and Deaf Blind, Stillorgan (residential)
- The National Chaplaincy for Deaf People
- Deaf Education Centre
- Holy Family School for the Deaf
- Inspire Fitness Centre
CIDP is in receipt of funding from the Health Service Executive for the two boarding school residences accommodating children attending the specialised Holy Family School for the Deaf and for St. Joseph’s House in Brewery Road which accommodates vulnerable Deaf and Deaf Blind adults. CIDP directly manages these residences and is the trustee of the school
The National Deaf Village Sports and Leisure Company Limited, which now trades as the Inspire Fitness Centre, is a subsidiary company of CIDP.